Intel 2200bg wireless lan support in FreeBSD6.0 stable release

Sunil Kumar sunil_tv at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 20:25:22 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am a trying to get wirless lan working on my Toshiba laptop(M55-S325). It has Intel 2200bg Centrino. I am getting in to problems. I am using the FreeBSD6.0 stable release. I have following questions.

1. Is there a document/help site where the steps are documented?

2. If I execute  "kldload -v if_iwi" then in the dmesg output, i get a message saying "download firmware". What firmware should i have to download? I cannot use ports collection(pkg_add or make install clean) because that laptop does not have ethernet connection(I think there is no support for the Marvell Yukon 88E80836 chipset).

3.If is execute this command " iwicontrol -i iwi0 -d /usr/local/libdata/if_iwi -m bss" i get a error message that this iwicontrol is not a command and i searched whole FreeBSD and i could not get this file. how will i get this command?

4.Then is just did "ifconfig iwi0 up" and then run ifconfig command, i get the output similar to the below

ifconfig iwi0
iwi0: flags=8806<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
	status: no carrier
	ssid ""
	channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
	rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS txpower 100
	wepmode OFF weptxkey 0

Can any one helpme?

With Regards and Thanks

Sunil