Slow file transfer

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Nov 7 10:24:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am suffering from slow file transfer on a FreeBSD machine.

The set-up is as follow:

Router1 is connected to Router2 that is connected to sFTP server

Router1 and Router2 are the same motherboard, same BIOS configuration,
same CPU, both have same type hard disk (Seagate ATA 10 and 20 GB) and
both are running the same version of freeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p16 with the
same softwares (Zebra and xorp basically).

Router2 has 128MB ram while Router1 has only 64MB.

Both machine load are close to 0.00

When I do a file transfer from Router1 to sFTP server (through
Router2) I get a transfer rate of 511 KB/s.

When I do a file transfer from Router2 to sFTP server (one less hop) I
can only get 87 KB/s.

The transfer rates remains the same all along the day (this is not due
at a specific traffic high load at the time I gathered data).

While the setup has not changed for months, the slowness is very recent.

I must admitthat I am clueless about what could be the reason and help
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Olivier