Kernel option question

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:17:06 GMT 2005

On 11/6/05, Mihai Tanasescu <mihai at duras.ro> wrote:
> I'm having problems with a piece of software that I'm running.
> That software causes quite a high load on my machine and gets
> automatically killed after some time.
>
> How can I configure FreeBSD not to kill the high cpu consuming tasks
> taking into account the risk of my machine getting to be unavailable.

Well first of all what is the program, how did you install it etc.
That will help for getting an answer. The reason being FreeBSD doesn't
kill a program just for using alot of CPU, i suppose unless it is
using up everything and making a nuisance of itself, which the program
shouldn't really be reaching that point, so i don't think my next
paragraph is the reason, but something to with the program.

However the freebsd sheduler does lower the priority for programs that
use up their entire slice of CPU time, rather than using some up, and
then sleep - ing themselves , or blocking, waiting for something.
Therefore a program that is continuous, gets lower and lower priority,
while something that has to wait for, say, input, line an interactive
program (eg text-editor) gets higher and higher priority (until it
enters a while bunch of characters, at which stage it's priority
lowers and the process start over again)

If you really believe that it's being stopped because of this, look
into the nice command (man page)

Otherwise, let everybody know what the program is. Also, is it writing
any error files? Check your logs, and post any output.

Just my  thoughts (could be wrong) hope you get some more answers.