DMA errors

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Nov 6 09:15:20 GMT 2005

I think the issue is that you have to view the computer as a true
merger of hardware and software, not simply a hardware platform that
software happens to be running on.

With the FreeBSD OS (and in any OS) there's many abstractive layers
to try to decouple as much of the code as possible from the hardware.
For example you do not want your network card shutting down just because
a particular usermode app runs, that is why the OS prohibits those apps
from doing so.

But, despite all this what it all boils down to is the CPU of the
motherboard
is just executing a long sequence of 1's and 0s.  In any given moment
that
code executing in the CPU could be a usermode program, a kernel device
driver, or whatever.  If the hardware isn't acting as expected, you will
get all manner of unexplained, random issues.

You could probably install 5.4 fine on that 40GB disk if you put it
in a different PC.

Ted