New Logo

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 3 23:15:39 GMT 2005

On Thursday,  3 November 2005 at 14:26:24 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> after reading the original competition posting, it seems that it was
> orchestrated by the "core" @ freebsd

Since this is a question, I suppose it's worth answering here.

No, this wasn't orchestrated by the FreeBSD Core Team.  As others have
already mentioned, see http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/ for the
details.  I must confess it's difficult to find how the designs were
assessed, but my recollection was that it was a vote of all FreeBSD
developers, currently I think about 300.  There were 181 votes.

> it would be interesting to learn the total # of "core" members,

The FreeBSD core team consists of 9 members, elected every 2 years.
Currently one of the positions is vacant.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/staff-core.html
for more details.

> and how the vote went, yay and nay, and whether, it at all, the
> "core" is hearing the message which seems to be emanating from the
> "non-core"..

Jun Kuriyama has been reading this thread.  He is both a core team
member and the coordinator of the contest.  I'm sure other core team
members have been following as well.

> IOW, can the decision be reversed? is it being considered? if not,
> it's all moot.

Anything can be reversed.  I don't know if it's being considered.  But
if you feel so strongly about this, any further discussion belongs on
the advocacy group.  If you don't want to join that group, by
definition you don't feel strongly enough.

Greg