New Logo

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Nov 2 07:46:37 PST 2005

On 2005-11-02 12:49, martin at orbweavers.co.uk wrote:

>>> OK I will honestly tell you my first reaction: I laughed until I fell
>>> off my
>>> chair. Then I put my hand in front of my mouth and whispered OMG.
>>
>> This logo is so bad, especially from a marketing perspective, that it
>> is almost laughable. I hope it disappears quickly. Whoever did this
>> was not a professional graphic designer who knows marketeting and what
>> a logo is for. Sorry to be so brutal.
>
> I think the critism is a bit harsh. Any logo for FreeBSD is going to be an
> lossing battle - how do you please the beastie fans who don't want
> anything radically different, and those that want a more 'professional'
> logo. I think this logo does the job very well, all beastie fans can
> immediatly recognise it for what it is, while someone who is unaware (i.e.
> the PHB) will only see it as a generic logo.

I am not 100% convinced, but if you say so.  It seems to be that the
religious fundamentalist who thinks Beastie is "the Devil", or
something, will sooner or later look at the new logo and think:

    ``It looks like a head.  A horned head.  A red, horned head.
    OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD!  THAT'S THE DEVIL HIMSELF!''

Then all the fuss about a new logo has been in vain :(