mksnap_ffs woes

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Thu Mar 31 15:24:03 PST 2005

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> In my experience databases DO NOT like file system backups unless the
> database is NOT running. The more heavily you use the database the least
> it will play nice with file system backups.

Unfortunately we have no choice.

> Is using the database backup routines an option?

Nope.

> Does the database has any type of replication?

Nope again.

>> BTW, we have almost no room for changes on the client side :(
>
> What is the client side?

Some *old* PCs (need ISA slots) running an old DOS [wannabe] application
(actually a plethora of .BAT files and some .EXEs) on Windows 95 or 98 :(
Not even the firm who made that crap is willing to put their hands on it.
Replacing the software would mean replacing the hardware (not only the
PCs, but the attached machines too) at multiple sites, which would mean
a HUGE amount of money; that's behind my power and is to be considered
out of question.

> Given that you said it is in Samba is seems it's some type of windowd
> database. Is it a workgroup type of DB like Access or Foxpro? SQL server?

It's some bunch of DBFs with associated indexes and God only knows what
else. Given the clients need to be up 24/7, I though of filesystem
snapshots as the only solution.

I'll keep trying a bit more, since it seems doing them on a daily
schedule doesn't do any harm. The problems so far have only arisen when
I manually started a backup script (possibly interrupting it, cleaning
up, and starting again).

  bye & Thanks
	av.

P.S. The firm who sold that crap, also implemented the file server
before mine; just without any RAID and/or backup facility. These data
are vital to that business.