mksnap_ffs woes

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Thu Mar 31 09:53:37 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> I'll explain my needs briefly: I export (via Samba) a whole bunch of
> databases that 9 clients read and write.

What databases?

> a) backup data so that in case of severe failure we can get it rapidly back
> (we are going to loose the last transactions, obviously);

In my experience databases DO NOT like file system backups unless the
database is NOT running. The more heavily you use the database the least
it will play nice with file system backups.

Is using the database backup routines an option?
Does the database has any type of replication?

> We probably can live with some incoherent records in a)

Depending on the database system you are using the copies may be totally
useless if you do a filesystem backup/sync.

> BTW, we have almost no room for changes on the client side :(

What is the client side?

Given that you said it is in Samba is seems it's some type of windowd
database. Is it a workgroup type of DB like Access or Foxpro? SQL server?

--
http://stringsutils.com
Utility for developers. Compute length, MD5, CRC and more.