newbie who can't get support from xoasis

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 30 12:01:29 PST 2005

Chris Nye wrote:

>after a YEAR of trying to get help from Xoasis, (They won't even call or
>email me back) I'm trying to resolve these issues myself.
>
>Sorry there are a bunch of questions. I would really appreciate it if
>someone can point me in the right direction. I've bought a couple of books
>and have a general understanding. But I'm afraid to take any big solo
>steps (even though I did last week in a crisis).  My difficulty is figuring out
>exactly how they have tweaked the system
>
>In order of need
>
>Xoasis KTX2 sever appliance FreeBSD 4
>************************************
>DISK SPACE CRITICAL
>Short on disk space 97% utilized
>
>What I've tried
>  deleted all snort logs
>  moved /var/spool/mail/log/ee.core to /home
>  (do I need it or can it be deleted??)

Do you intend to debug a core dump of "easy editor"? ;-)

Also, look at places like:

/tmp
/var/tmp
/var/log/*gz (old logs get zipped up by syslog in a std
                      configuration....)
/usr/ports/distfiles

>Can file /var/spool/mail/log/mainlog be deleted? it is hugh 1035325249
>( I would like to review it first, can it safely be moved to /home?)

You've not mentioned your disk's size, so I can't really
speculate.  If you have a fast connection to some box
with enough space, I'd grab it off via ftp/sftp or the like
and then cat /dev/null to it as root and make a reminder
in the future to rotate the logs more often...

e.g.:

    `cat /dev/null > /var/spool/mail/log/mainlog`

will erase the content of said file in place....

>MAIL ERROR
>cannot send mail from webmail - error:
>internet1 sendmail[619]: NOQUEUE:
>SYSERR(nobody):/etc/mail/submit.cf:line 415:
>readcf: option RunAsUser: unknown user smmsp

Looks as if sendmail was updated without running
mergemaster.  smmsp has been around for quite a
while IIRC; you could try adding it.  On my boxes
his uid and gid are 25 and he is a member of groups
smmap and vscan, the latter of which is a requirement
of amavisd or the Sendmail-Milter IIRC.

>Mcaffee uvscan blows out every night.
>pd 14160 [ keeps changing] (uvscan) uid 0: exited on signal 11
>(coredumped)

Find those cores and rm them for disk space....

>>From what i have been able to find on line it looks like they changed the
>format of the app and it is no longer compatible without mods. How do I
>uninstall or fix?

If what you say is true, you might fix it by upgrading
the OS.  To uninstall, take a look at pkg_delete. (e.g.
type `man pkg_delete` and read, read, read ... ;-)

>getting errors on console
>internet1 /usr/local/qpopper/sbin/popper [4239 "this number keeps
>changing"]
>EOF from "username shows here" @127.0.0.1 (local host): [0] 35
>(Resource temporarily
>unavailable); 0 (undefined error)

Can't help much there, at least not without more info.

>MAIL ERROR
>cannot send mail from Pegasus mail client v4.12c - error
>
>set client to ip xxx.xxx.xxx.27 timed out, error:
>   [*] Connection established to xxx.xxx.xxx.27
>   8: Socket read timeout.
>
>set client to ip xxx.xxx.xxx.27 and doing an POP auth 1st timed out, error:
>   [*] Connection established to xxx.xxx.xxx.27
>   8: Socket read timeout.
>
>set client to ip xxx.xxx.xxx.27 tried login to SMTP server using a specific
>POP3 username
>   [*] Connection established to xxx.xxx.xxx.27
>   8: Socket read timeout.

nor there...

>************************************
>nice to know how to but not critical
>
>copy to and from r/w cd
>resize partitions without hosing myself
>

>thanks--
>Christopher Nye AIA
>Dir. of Information Services
>630 495-1900

Have you read or heard of the FreeBSD handbook?  Lots
of good stuff there for us "newbies" ... www.freebsd.org/handbook
 or about X-hundred different formats available via FTP...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey