Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Martin McCann martinmcc at orbweavers.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 17:00:34 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 23:13 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim writes:
>
> > That's nice.  I wasn't talking about NT there.  I was talking about
> > DOS.
>
> I'm not running anything named DOS.
>
> > Command line, popular before Windows but after CP/M...maybe
> > you've heard of it?
>
> I used to run a few operating systems by that name.
>
> > They're trying to help troubleshoot over the list.
>
> Why don't they just suggest that I move to another city, in case there's
> RF interference in my neighborhood.  That's troubleshooting, too, but
> like swapping hardware, it's not very practical, and you don't start
> with the impractical methods if you have no idea what's wrong.

So, you start by demanding your individual problem is resoloved by a
list who has no responsibility to the upkeep of the software that has
given you issue?

> > Did you pass science class?  This would show if it's reproducible as a
> > bug.
>
> Nobody even knows what the messages mean.  Without knowing that, what
> use is it to try to reproduce it on another machine?

You have repeated this time and time again. No-one is argueing with you.
I think it is safe to assume no-one knows excactly what the message is
about. Many people have tried to help by applying their high level of
knowledge to the situation, which you have lambasted. Accept that no-one
on this list knows, and move on.

> > Slap it on the same damn hardware, *right down to the firmware*
> > (remember you have modified firmware?).  If it isn't running on two
> > machines that are exactly the same, that shows an increased chance that
> > that is indeed a bug in some driver, and you should contact the driver
> > maintainer.
>
> What if the messages don't represent an error?

As you have said, no-one here knows, move on.

> > It's troubleshooting by eliminating variables.
>
> It's rolling dice unless you first determine what the messages mean.

As you have said, no-one here knows, move on.

> > Bzzt.  Wrong.  Not if the hardware is going bad or has a problem.
>
> There's no reason to believe that the hardware is going bad.

There is reason to belive it. It doesn't mean that it is going bad, but
it shows that there is reaseon to suspect that it could be going bad.

> > See, in our magical and mystical world, we need to be able to
> > reproduce the problem in order to help.
>
> How do you know it's a problem?  You don't know what the messages mean.
>
> > Otherwise we have to troubleshoot and speculate.
>
> All anyone has done thus far is guess.

Yes, tried their best. No-one knows, if people trying to help you to the
best of their knowledge isn't good enough for you, pay someone, then you
can shout at them as much as you like.

> > You know, the things you insist we don't need to do.  On
> > top of that, you never even commented on the possibility of someone
> > being able to FIX your problem *IF IT IS* a FreeBSD software problem
> > WITHOUT THE DAMN HARDWARE on which to test the fix.  Sheeyit!  How can
> > I fix something on a configuration that I don't even have?
>
> By examining and modifying the code.  Developers do it all the time.
>
> > Wow, how long have you worked in the field as a troubleshooter?
>
> I spent a number of years in that capacity.

Sad to say you are probably right. Most people I work with in the I.T.
field know the score, that not everything works as documented all the
time. Some though, will waste weeks and months lamenting the fact that
it doesn't rather than moving on. Consider if you will the impression
you might give to a future employer who does a google search on your
name.

> > So...unless everything is handled exactly as you wish it, unrealistic
> > or not, by volunteers no less, it is a waste of your time.
>
> No, unless people follow a logical course of action to isolate the
> problem, if there is one, then they waste my time.

Hah. You are following a logical caouse of action? You have spend more
time critising this list, and boasting about your own merits, that you
have trying to resolve this issue.

> > And here I thought it was because it uses a PPC.
>
> My computer uses Intel hardware, but FreeBSD seems to have a problem
> with it.

So it is now intel hardware causing the problem? Pleas repeat what the
error is coming from.

> > Your turn. Pull out that shit controller and set of drives, put in new
> > drives and a new controller that's generic instead of modified, and
> > see if FreeBSD works.
>
> Tell me what the messages mean, first.

As you have said, no-one here knows, move on.

> > Then fix it.  Or pay someone to.
>
> I don't have the time to examine the source.

Then move on, and stop throwing a tantrum.

> > In the length of time you've spend insulting people on this list you
> > could have swapped out the drives and controller and probably have
> > things working already.
>
> Hmm.

Exactly.