unable to ping out of a new install

Chip Wiegand chip.wiegand at simrad.com
Tue Mar 29 14:57:09 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote on 03/29/2005 01:56:48 PM:

> Hi Chip,
>   You can reconfigure your network interface using the sysinstall
> utility (/stand/sysinstall).  If you are not using DHCP  make sure
> that you have a DNS server and GATEWAY configured.
>
> --Nick

Yes, that is how I configured it to begin with. No DHCP for this
particular network, only 3 computers - dmz (on the firewall), and two
computers. They all ping each other and reply to each other just fine,
EXCEPT that the BSD box will not ping out to the other boxes. It WILL
respond to a ping from the other boxes though.
--
Chip

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:46:07 -0700, Chip Wiegand
> <chip.wiegand at simrad.com> wrote:
> > I just installed 5.3 on a laptop and am able to ping it, but it cannot
> > ping anything else. When I enter the ping <ipaddress> command the
curser
> > moves down a line then nothing. It doesn't even time out. Just
nothing.
> > The box will reply to a ping from another box on the network though.
Is