a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean"

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Mon Mar 28 18:38:00 PST 2005

Abu Khaled wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:12:10 +0000, well sun <sunwell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>       I had install the freebsd5.3 with custom setup and only install
>>   the source code and base, not install xorg and perl. Then I use cvsup
>>   to upgrade stable source code and current ports. After doing these, I
>>   want to install the kde3 and gnome2. But I found when I use the
>>   pkg_add command, freebsd will go to the directory under "5.3-release",
>>   it is older than the installation using "make install clean" command.
>>   For example, when I use pkg_add xorg, it will install 6.7 version.
>>   When I use "make install clean", it will install 6.8.2 version. How
>>   can I make them to install same versions?  Another question is, when I
>>   install the xorg-clients, it give me a error message that "libc.so.6"
>>   not found, and many reference to *GL.so not found, how can I fix it? I
>>   had get the latest X11R7-src{1,2,3}.tar.bz2.
>>

> My guess would be that you did not build/install world/kernel. So the
> package system still defaults to your 5.3 release branch. The
> sources/ports you updated must be for the development brach
> FreeBSD-5.X, also known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE "RELENG 5"
>
> Check your CVSUP configuration (supfile).
> if default tag=RELENG_5 then you are tracking 5.4 STABLE and you need
> to buildworld/kernel and install (check the handbook).
>
> If you don't whant to buildworld/kernel then change "tag=RELENG_5" to
> "tag=RELENG_5_3", cvsup again and your sources/ports well be the same
> as PACKAGES (the older ones)

This is flat out wrong. The cvsup of the src tree and the ports tree are
seperate. You would use 2 seperate cvs files.

Now, you "could" combine them I suppose (I dont know out right - I have
not done this. If you cvsup the ports tree (and it sounds like you may
have, by doing so, you have pulled in a "newer" tree of the ports. Thus,
a make install would get you the newest installs (pending on when you
cvsuped the ports tree) of those programs.

Using pkg_add is simply going out to the FBSD site and installing the
binary (pre compiled) versions that were released when the OS was released.

The proper tag for getting the latest ports tree under 5.3-RELEASE would
be this in the ports-supfile:

*default release=cvs tag=.

Remeber, as long as you keep your ports tree up to date, the packages
will always be outdated.

You can find all this out by simply reading the handbook online.

Please try to know what your talking about before confusing a newbie.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Virtue is its own punishment.