a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean"

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:25:30 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:12:10 +0000, well sun <sunwell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>        I had install the freebsd5.3 with custom setup and only install
>    the source code and base, not install xorg and perl. Then I use cvsup
>    to upgrade stable source code and current ports. After doing these, I
>    want to install the kde3 and gnome2. But I found when I use the
>    pkg_add command, freebsd will go to the directory under "5.3-release",
>    it is older than the installation using "make install clean" command.
>    For example, when I use pkg_add xorg, it will install 6.7 version.
>    When I use "make install clean", it will install 6.8.2 version. How
>    can I make them to install same versions?  Another question is, when I
>    install the xorg-clients, it give me a error message that "libc.so.6"
>    not found, and many reference to *GL.so not found, how can I fix it? I
>    had get the latest X11R7-src{1,2,3}.tar.bz2.

My guess would be that you did not build/install world/kernel. So the
package system still defaults to your 5.3 release branch. The
sources/ports you updated must be for the development brach
FreeBSD-5.X, also known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE "RELENG 5"

Check your CVSUP configuration (supfile).
if default tag=RELENG_5 then you are tracking 5.4 STABLE and you need
to buildworld/kernel and install (check the handbook).

If you don't whant to buildworld/kernel then change "tag=RELENG_5" to
"tag=RELENG_5_3", cvsup again and your sources/ports well be the same
as PACKAGES (the older ones)

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled