Portupgrade (vs. Portmanager) question

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:23:16 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:08:56 -0800, Jay O'Brien <jayobrien at att.net> wrote:
> Alec Berryman wrote:
>
> > Jay O'Brien on 2005-03-27 18:20:00 -0800:
> >

> >>Now, pkg_info says I have 10 packages installed; added were ezm3,
> >>gettext, gmake, libiconv, libtool, portupgrade,ruby and ruby18. If
> >>these all required to make portupgrade or perl work, where is that
> >>reference?
> >

> > They are required to build and run portupgrade.  If you do a 'make search
> > name=portupgrade' from /usr/ports, it will list all the dependencies.
> >

> >>PS.. I tried to install portmanager again, and this time it got the
> >>files immediately and installed fine. It took about a minute, not two
> >>hours. It reports that all my ports are up to date. Whew.
> >

> > That's because portupgrade did all the work :)  If you had run
> > portmanager before running portupgrade, you would have seen something
> > similar - portmanager taking two hours and portupgrade taking almost
> > no time at all.
>
> Alec,
>
> Thanks, I searched the FreeBSD Handbook for "dependency" and didn't find any
> reference to "make search". I guess it is one of those things that once you
> know about it you don't have to look for it any more. Unfortunately a lot
> of the documentation I can review is written for those folks who already
> know the answers.
>
> Thanks for the heads up on 'make search', even if I can't find a complete
> description of the command. I find that it is referenced in the manual,
> however.
>
> I see that several of the packages that were installed aren't listed in the
> dependencies for portupgrade. Only the two ruby programs are listed.

ezm3, gettext, gmake, libiconv, libtool are the build dependencies for
cvsup-without-gui.

# cd /usr/ports
# make search name="cvsup-without-gui"

If you updated your soirces/ports "cvsup" then portupgrade did what
you asked it to do. It Updated all outdated packages/ports and there
dependencies.

> Jay

Kind regards
Abu Khaled