Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Mar 27 15:20:03 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> Actually it was a waste to you because you don't want to try
>> anything, but it wasn't a waste to others on the list.
>
> It was a waste to me because nobody knows what the problem is or how
> to fix it, and the only suggestions I got were that the hardware was
> failing, which I know isn't true.

And to test with just one disk on the controller, specifically the
Seagate,
but also with just the Quantum, to eliminate a possible bad interaction
between the disks and to eliminate possible incompatible firmware in
either of the disks to that of the Adaptec controller.  Since you haven't
done that we still don't know if possibly it would work fine with only
one of the disks on the chain.

>> When trying to troubleshoot a problem you make a conjecture as to
>> what the problem might be then you test for it.
>
> I guess it's a good thing that nobody conjectured that it might be bad
> utility power, or I'd have to switch to a new nuclear plant in order
> to troubleshooot the problem.

It would have been an invalid conjecture because while your utility power
might be bad, the power your getting from your UPS certainly isn't.  I do
assume you have this on a UPS, right?

Ted