Clean install of FreeBSD, many ports wont compile

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sat Mar 26 14:39:50 PST 2005

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Still can't figure out how to get my FreeBSD machine to work properly.
> I've tried everything.
>
> Download the ISO on Wednesday, Mar 23rd, from ftp.freebsd.org.  standard
> install, cvsup'd the ports, and tried to install
> /usr/ports/editors/pico, /usr/ports/shells/bash2, and a couple other ports.
>
> The output of the bad compile of pico and bash are below:
>
> http://paste.atopia.net/108
> http://paste.atopia.net/109
> http://paste.atopia.net/110
> http://paste.atopia.net/111
>
> I tried memtest, a hard drive test, etc.  I don't understand how a clean
> install of freebsd 5.3 - RELEASE could be doing this.

Looking at your listings, you aren't trying to do a clean install,
you're trying to do a complete rebuild.  If you don't have your system
completely built ALREADY at this point, it's a bit like trying to buy a
car by putting one together, armed with a nice screwdriver.

Back up, tell us if you have a system installed.  IF that's true, then
stop complaining about trying to install a system, because you have
that, instead begin researching (by using the FreeBSD handbook) how to
recompile a kernel.  If you aren't at least somewhat of a programmer,
then you're going to need to get a friend who IS one to help you out ...
maybe, learn how to use the FreeBSD IRC channel, it's fairly good.

The way it goes is, first yo uget yourself a system installed, then you
worry about getting a system recompiled.  Along the way you will do a
whole lot of learning.

BUT stop complaining about not getting your system to "work properly"
unless that really is your problem, cause all you're going to do is
confuse and upset people who want to help you.