Updated on SATA drive problem

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Mar 26 11:30:25 PST 2005

In the last episode (Mar 26), Anthony Atkielski said:
> Chris writes:
> > That's good news - I'm glad to hear that you are progressing with
> > your issues. Once you have these items under control - you ought to
> > have a more enjoyable experiance with whatever OS you wish to use.
>
> Now if I could just fine the problem FreeBSD has with my SCSI drives
> on my test machine.  I noticed that the pages and pages of error
> messages I get sometimes when doing I/O to the disks are also
> generated even by something as simple as "smartctl -a" which
> presumably does not do any physical I/O to the platters.  This would
> seem to rule out any hardware problems involving the media,
> actuators, etc.

smartctl sends raw SCSI requests to the disk, and I think a recent
change in either smartmontools or the scsi code is ending up with the
wrong timeout value, so the request times out immediately.  This
happens to me when I launch smartd on all my machines, but it's
intermittent and doesn't seem to affect anything (I get periodic
temerature notifications after that with no timeout errors).  See PR
misc/73833 .

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com