mount error.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Mar 24 10:51:22 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:57:40AM -0500, Ean Kingston wrote:

> > 	People,
> >
> > 	Partitioning ad0s2 is fine.  But I get a mount error in
> > 	the newfs section.  Specifically:
> >
> > 	"Error mounting /mntg/dev/ad0s2e on /mnt/usr : Invalid argument"
>
> Gary, are you mounting it by hand? I wouldn't expect to see either the
> '/mntg' or the '/mnt' parts.
    ^^^^
    typo:: should be /mnt.  The error from the "3D" sysinstall script
    was:

	"Error mounting /mnt/dev/ad0s2e on /mnt/usr : Invalid argument"

	By-hand? no.  Entirely by sysinstall.  Menu-driven script.

> > 	Anybody know what's causing this and how to get past this?
>
> double check to make sure your /etc/fstab is configured correctly. Make
> sure that the device (/dev/*) and the mount point (*/usr) actually exist
> before the filesystem gets mounted.

	Surprising, the OS does boot.  /bin must be there because typing
	mount /usr tells me that /usr has a bad superblock.

	Maybe I can create the /usr mountpoint.  If I reboot from
	CD everything is lost.  (I didn't check if /stand got'
	created.

	FWIW, the strange this is: If I create a tiny /usr of,
	say, 5GB, vrything is happy.  Can I use /stand/sysinstall
	from an already-created system to upside partitions?

	The real question is: what is causing the original
	"Error mounting" error?!

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix