AMD64 much slower than i386 on FreeBSD 5.4-pre

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Mar 23 12:48:01 PST 2005

em1897 at aol.com wrote:

> The answer, Boris, is that the "team" has no idea what
> they're doing. Check out some of the threads on
> performance testing. They tune little pieces here
> and there, and break 10 other things in the process.
> Matt Dillon "determined" that 10,000 ints/second
> was "optimal". Of course if you're passing 10Kpps
> that means you get an interrupt for every
> packet.
>
> They're playing pin the tail on the donkey.

You could understand what he was saying?  I wanted to help but was
unsure of what he was asking.  I also seem to remember that discussion
you are referring too.  IIRC, 10,000hz for pooling was the setting they
ere talking about.  But on it would very a little, and with the fxp
based card polling hurt a little because the card was already ding its
own thing in hardware.  So that setting was redundant, it was best to
leave it alone.

He also seemed to say the network bandwidth was constant, and system
load rose with an 64bit system.  This right?  If he was using GENERIC on
a smp system he was only using 1 cpu with out a recompile.  There is
just so much that could be wrong and he gives no information on his
system or settings.

Doess he have 2 amd64 pcs with 2 different installs of 5.3, or a single
machine that he ran both versions on?  The router, is that a third
machine that was an amd64 system, or something else?  He says i386, but
an up to date 5.3 world doesn't support 386 with out a work around.  The
least commom setting is now 486, but a build for 686 would be better.
Did he tell you if he had polling on?

So I guess it is a good thing you were able to help him, because I
couldn't.  Not to mention the flame bait you through out, well, that
would be wrong.