dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Mar 23 10:59:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:22:43PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 March 2005 06:44, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	The first CD boots 5.3 ad brings up /stand/sysinstall.
> > 	Every options I have tries sees the "NTFS" as ad0s1.
> >
> > 	Is there another choice to chose to divvy up the drive
> > 	to give me more than three slices?  This is where the
> > 	handbook gets muddy.
> >
> > 	Can anybody 'splain this better??
>
> FreeBSD is not Linux.
>
> Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
> primaries and an extended partition.
>
> FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put directly
> onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since it
> isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with some
> BIOSes.
>
> Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps a
> group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You only
> need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.
>

> > 	Which sections should I print out and go in a corner to read?
>
> The one called "Installing FreeBSD"

	If memory servers, the slices I created were
	ad0s2	/
	ad0s3	SWAP
	ad0s4	/usr

	I tagged ad0s2 to be bootable; selected everything to be
	installed and okay the create script.  /usr had trouble
	with newfs because of a bad superblock in 0s4.  My guess
	is that the difficulty stems from a foul-up from the
	disk labeling.

	I've been installing BSD since 4.1 at Cal and FreeBSD
	since 2.0.5; I'm familiar with the standard protocols.
	This is my first go at trying to  dual-boot such
	different systems.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix