dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Mar 23 10:22:51 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 06:44, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	The first CD boots 5.3 ad brings up /stand/sysinstall.
> 	Every options I have tries sees the "NTFS" as ad0s1.
>
> 	Is there another choice to chose to divvy up the drive
> 	to give me more than three slices?  This is where the
> 	handbook gets muddy.
>
> 	Can anybody 'splain this better??

FreeBSD is not Linux.

Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
primaries and an extended partition.

FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put directly
onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since it
isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with some
BIOSes.

Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps a
group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You only
need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.

> 	Which sections should I print out and go in a corner to read?

The one called "Installing FreeBSD"