Acroread7

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Mar 23 05:46:04 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:34:02PM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 12:54:04PM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
> >>
> >>I have hit upon another problem with my new system. Acroread is now
> >>version 7 (what was wrong with the previous version, Adobe? *shrug*) and
> >>since it is a Linux binary it naturally depends on Linux libraries. But,
> >>some of those libraries are missing. Anyone having the same problem?
> >>
> >>I searched google and the mailing lists for a solution, and found some
> >>that suggested telling the Linux ldconfig the localtion of the FreeBSD
> >>library files, but that wont work.
> >>
> >>Is the dependancies for the port broken, or have I missed something
> >>again?
> >
> >Sounds like you're running an out-of-date ports collection.
>
> Well, I updated it just days ago when I installed my new kernel. Maybe
> the port was broken just those days I looked then. If no others have the
> same problem I guess I must have been "lucky" to get it right when it
> broke then. :)

The ports collection is usually very quickly changing.  Within hours
of a bug being reported, it is often fixed.  Therefore, when you see a
bug but only get around to reporting it a few days later, you should
either

* first check whether it's already been fixed

* at least check whether it's already been reported (i.e. consult the
freebsd-ports mailing list archives)

Thanks,
Kris