Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Mar 22 08:25:50 PST 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 10:02 am, daniel wrote:
> On March 22, 2005 10:54 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I have this big curse that I have to access the office computer
> > from home. The office PC runs WinXP Home, not Professional.
> > I have turned the Internet upside-down trying to get an app that
> > will enable me access the goddamn XP desktop, using something like
> > krdesktop, from home. Something that can run on the Windows XP and
> > provide me access to it's desktop from a FreeBSD box running KDE.
>
> i'd suggest vnc:
>   http://www.realvnc.com/
>   http://www.tightvnc.com/
>
> you use realvnc to install the server, then tightvnc to connect (i
> find it's faster than the normal vnc client.  then to connect all you
> need is X running and:
>
>   $ vncviewer <ipaddress>
>
> security note:
> vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure.  any
> ports you open/forward should be directed to your ip only.  even
> better, try a knocking daemon.

One of the advantages of running the tightvnc server is that it also
runs a java web server so that you can access the tightvnc server from
an internet browser without the use of a tightvnc client.  The port
number equals 5800 plus the windown number.  For example, to access
window 1 at 192.168.0.2, to go:

http://192.168.0.2:5801

Caveat:  I've only tested this from Win2K to FreeBSD, not the other way
around.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould