Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Mar 22 08:00:30 PST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim writes:
>
>> Depends on the problem.  Windows 98 needed more reboots than NT did on
>> the same hardware.   By your comparison they should be the same in
>> reliability and performance, no?
>
> No, by my comparison they should experience the same hardware errors
> (or
> absence thereof).

Not if one of them suppresses errors (or crashes) instead.

>> Actually I think he suggested that NT was hiding the problem.
>
> Fine.  What exactly _is_ the problem?  FreeBSD is certainly spewing no
> end of output to the console about it, but nobody seems to know what it
> means.

*I*'m not a developer.  I'm just a FreeBSD user who keeps trying to get
you to see that insulting people on the list is *definitely* not going
to help your cause, and that maybe there are other things to consider,
despite the off-list emails I've gotten saying you're a hopeless cause
who at this point is just trolling and baiting people.  The best advice
I gave was trying a liveboot CD or some other distro, or alternatively
commenting out the code that spews the error so you can ignore the
error again so it was like things were with NT, or contact the devel
team and ask about the offending code there.

>> Is anyone on this list running a twenty year old version of UNIX on
>> their system?  Most are running something of at least the 4.x line of
>> FreeBSD, I thought...
>
> Unless 4.x was a total rewrite from scratch with a design completely
> different from that of UNIX, it's more than twenty years old.

Holy crap no wonder your SATA controller doesn't work.

>> You tried it, you didn't like it, reinstall NT and see if diagnostic
>> software turns anything up and if not then see if the hardware
>> continues to run hunky-dory for the next year or so without failing.
>> No harm, no foul.
>
> I didn't say I didn't like it, I said that it has trouble dealing with
> my SCSI disks.

*sigh*  Is there any way for you to disable the onboard SCSI and use a
newer controller, maybe two same-brand same-model drives and see if
that fixes your problem?

>> Usually the first one I've heard is to check the compatibility list,
>> because that's hardware that it's been tested on.  Your hardware is on
>> the list?
>
> Yes.

Now, you've said the chipset...is it the actual hardware you have (HP
you said?), where the system's been tested with any changes that
company may have made to the firmware?

Does anyone know of a way for Anthony to have a trace run of the driver
to see where this error is being spit out and why?