Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 22 07:37:51 PST 2005

Bart Silverstrim writes:

> Depends on the problem.  Windows 98 needed more reboots than NT did on
> the same hardware.   By your comparison they should be the same in
> reliability and performance, no?

No, by my comparison they should experience the same hardware errors (or
absence thereof).

> But you didn't replace the oil.  You replaced the engine and
> transmission.  The OS is a little more than "just changing the oil" in
> car analogies.

All the more reason to suspect the OS.

> Actually I think he suggested that NT was hiding the problem.

Fine.  What exactly _is_ the problem?  FreeBSD is certainly spewing no
end of output to the console about it, but nobody seems to know what it
means.

> Is anyone on this list running a twenty year old version of UNIX on
> their system?  Most are running something of at least the 4.x line of
> FreeBSD, I thought...

Unless 4.x was a total rewrite from scratch with a design completely
different from that of UNIX, it's more than twenty years old.

> You tried it, you didn't like it, reinstall NT and see if diagnostic
> software turns anything up and if not then see if the hardware
> continues to run hunky-dory for the next year or so without failing.
> No harm, no foul.

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said that it has trouble dealing with
my SCSI disks.

> Usually the first one I've heard is to check the compatibility list,
> because that's hardware that it's been tested on.  Your hardware is on
> the list?

Yes.

--
Anthony