MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Mar 20 15:41:22 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Just to point out what I need, and then you probably will
> understand why
> I started this in the first place. I need to synchronize
> peoples (in the
> beginning only a few) calenders. As they all use Outlook I wanted to
> keep things easy on them. As I really fancy FreeBSD, I started to
> look for a way to combine both "worlds"...

There is actually another way you can do this without Exchange or any
other heavy product.

If you have a small number of Outlook users, you can go to your server
and create a MSMail post office.  Windows 95 and several other Windows
versions (I forget which ones) came with that ability.  Then you map a
drive
letter to the share that the postoffice is on, and set the Outlook
clients
to use the msmail (not exchange) connector, and point the connector to
the post office on that shared drive letter.  This will let the calendars
exchange data.

The Outlook clients must be true Outlook, not Outlook Express, and they
must be in Workgroup mode.

Also, it has been a long time since I've done that trick and your going
have to experiment and dig around with the various pieces of software,
I may not be accurate here in relating how it's done.
Also as I recall the post office creator in Windows 95 only let you do
a total of 10 mailboxes per post office.

Ted