MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 19 23:32:10 PST 2005

Mike Jeays writes:

> I have to disagree with this!  In my organization, a government
> department with about 6,000 staff ...

I said FOR SMALL INSTALLATIONS, not organizations of 6000 people.

I'm thinking more of small businesses with a single geographic location
and perhaps in the range of 100 employees or so.  They don't need
Exchange.

> ... the ability to schedule meetings and
> book conference rooms has become an essential part of our computing
> infrastructure.  Any attempt to remove these features or reduce their
> functionality from that provided by Outlook/Exchange would be met with
> considerable hostility and the permanent sidelining of he/she who
> proposed it.  A definite career-limiting move.

Hmm.  First Jim Durham suggests chucking all this and replacing
it with sendmail as a career-saving move, and now you suggest the
opposite.  You can't both be right.

Anyway, I agree that taking these features away from people who are used
to them is an extremely unwise move.  People are spoiled by Exchange.

> It is a major reason why we can't go to a fully open source desktop.

I don't believe there are any fully open-source solutions that provide
the same functionality.

One of the advantages of proprietary solutions is that they are pretty
much guaranteed to work as an integrated whole, which is never the case
for open-source.

--
Anthony