Invalid Gateway IPv4 Address Specified

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Mar 20 14:02:58 PST 2005

Augusto Cesar <augusto.cesar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, i'm installing FreeBSD on my desktop, almost everything went fine,
> except when i try to setup my connection.
>
> The scenario: a static-ip, a direct connection to a router (which i do
> NOT have ANY control over it) and a outside DNS server. When trying to
> enter the gateway ip (10.0.0.9) through sysinstall, a box appears on the
> screen: Invalid Gateway IPv4 Address Specified.
>
> And that's it. Therefore i've tried including defaultrouter="10.0.0.9"
> in /etc/rc.conf, and restarted net, my computer still excluded from
> outside world.

What is your IP address/netmask?  What's the output of 'netstat -rn'?

Not enough information to be sure, but my first guess (based on the
source code for sysinstall) is that you're specifying an IP for the
gateway that is not reachable based on the IP/netmask for the interface.
For example: If your IP/netmask is 172.16.0.1/255.255.255.0, then the
system has no way to reach 10.0.0.9.

If that's not the problem, the I suggest collecting some more detailed
information and posting again.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies