Adaptec AAC raid support

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 16:15:23 PST 2005

On Mar 19, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Jason Crawford wrote:
> FreeBSD users.. also watch how Scott claims he is about freedom of
> choice, yet proceeded to lock you into only one option for a RAID
> card, which would seem to be anti-choice... and being pro-choice would
> have pushed for open docs a long time ago.

FUD check:

FreeBSD works quite well with RAID products from 3ware, Promise, and
Highpoint to my direct knowledge, as well as Adaptec's, and I've seen
dmesg's on had accounts on systems using Mylex and LSI controllers.  I
am not as sure about the Qlogic and DPT brands.

Things aren't perfect-- I lost a 4-disk * 120GB RAID-10 array on a
HPT-370 about a year ago, and was very fortunate to have had good
backups, but I can't truly blame FreeBSD's ATA/RAID implementation,
since I'd used the HPT BIOS to do the rebuild rather than atacontrol.

Next time I'll buy a 3ware or Promise card, though, not use a MB-based
HPT controller...

--
-Chuck