Stupid ASCII loader prompt

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Mar 17 08:43:53 PST 2005

> On Thursday 17 March 2005 08:08 am, you wrote:
> > Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > >adding my $0.02 to the pot
> > >
> > >I hope FreeBSD folks have more pride in their product than
> > >to allow a few malcontents cause a logo change.  If bestie goes
> > >AWOL so may I.  Using a product when its own designers won't
> > >stick by it seams unwise.
> > >
> > >-Mike
> >
> > For what values of "it"?  FreeBSD is an operating system,
> > not a logo.  Most people's decision to use the OS aren't
> > based on its mascot, I would hope.
>
> If the logo is of no importance, then why did it ever exist? FreeBSD
> started with this logo and needs to stick by it in my opinion.  If
> someone comes up with a better looking "beastie" that is fine,
> to arbitrally change it after 20 years because a few people are offended
> shows cowardness in the face of nearly 0 diversity.
>
> If you toss beastie probably should change to change chmod 666 because
> that number offends some people.  While your at it please remove
> gnome-sword, it likely offends some non Christians to have bible study
> software in ports. After all in Saudi Arabia the cross is illegal, no
> need to risk offending.   What about the hewbrew fonts? Do they also
> piss off Arabs? Toss those just in case.  Now the Arabic fonts need
> tossing tool,  just to be fair.
>
> -Mike

Oh, quit your whining.   The Beastie mascot isn't going to go away.
It got its start because someone (Kirk) enjoyed drawing it and used
it on some stuff and people enjoyed. it.

Since Kirk is very generous in his copyright terms (note, it is not
owned by FreeBSD), people who enjoy it will continue to use it and
make variations on it and have fun with it.   People who enjoy whining
about it will continue to enjoy whining about it.   Such fun.

There is nothing official about Beastie except that Kirk officially
owns the copyright.   You are making more of a religious issue out of
it than even the flaming right wing fundamentalists.

If someone comes up with some nice looking graphic that makes a
good official logo and the FreeBSD Foundation buys it, then they
will have an official logo, owned by FreeBSD.   So what.   Gee,
maybe Kirk McKusick will design it.    Anyway, a mascot isn't a logo
so the mascot isn't threatened.

////jerry