Boot problems afther reinstall windows

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Mar 15 15:44:47 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:53:25AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Windows was able to boot afhter I installed it. I never touched
> > boot.ini. The content would have been:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> >
> > I now use a different solution. Instead of the freebsd bootloader
> > (boot0). I now use the windows bootloader. I copied boot1 to
> > c:\freebsd.bin. Then modified windows boot.ini as follow:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=10
> > default=c:\freebsd.bin
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> > c:\freebsd.bin="FreeBSD 5"
> >
> > This works for me. I still wonder why the stuff below didn't work. In
> > the past I would do this with /stand/sysinstall. But I don't dare to do
> > this with FreeBSD 5 because of drive geometric warnings.
> >

> Remember there are two boot blocks, so to speak.
> There is the MBR that lets you choose which slice to boot.  There is
> only one of those per disk and it lives in "sector 0" of the disk.
> The MBR generally has a standard calling sequence (that the Bios calls)
> and sets things up to a fairly standard condition and looks for
> standard appearing boot sectors in slices and makes a standard
> call to the selected slice's boot sector.   Almost any MBR that
> knows how to recognize a standard boot sector in a slice and lets
> you choose between them if there are more than one can be used
> interchangeably.
>
> Then there is the boot block with the actual boot loader that starts
> pulling the OS from the bootable partition.   On a multi boot disk
> there are several - one per each bootable slice and they live in the
> boot sector of each slice.    Those are specific to the OS they are
> booting.  Though their calling sequence is standard, what they have
> to do to load and start their own OS is not.

Is it posible to boot one OS if you only have the MBR?

> I am guessing that you managed to overwrite or damage the MS slice'
> boot sector while you were doing things, or didn't get it written
> to the slice properly when you reloaded or something like that.
> Even though you put the MBR back with FreeBSD's fdisk, did you
> also make sure that the MS slice had its own boot loader?   Anyway
> you did when you put the MS boot loader back.   So it works now.

The previous time I first installed windows and then FreeBSD 5. The
difference this time is that I didn't use /stand/sysinstall. This
because I would get into serious troubel. (I never found out how to
force the right geometry) So I was thinking maybe sysinstall does
something (like copy the MBR to the second boot location) that I didn't
do manualy.

I used the windows method for when something goes wrong (i.e. reboot)
and just reinstalled Windows. A added bonus is that I now have one OS as
default instead the last used. I alway was annoyed about loading the
previous used. I only want to use Windows if I have to (mostly for
word - there language functionality is superb).

Tanks for you time. Appricate it.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/