Boot problems afther reinstall windows

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Mar 15 05:54:18 PST 2005

> Windows was able to boot afhter I installed it. I never touched
> boot.ini. The content would have been:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>
> I now use a different solution. Instead of the freebsd bootloader
> (boot0). I now use the windows bootloader. I copied boot1 to
> c:\freebsd.bin. Then modified windows boot.ini as follow:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> default=c:\freebsd.bin
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> c:\freebsd.bin="FreeBSD 5"
>
> This works for me. I still wonder why the stuff below didn't work. In
> the past I would do this with /stand/sysinstall. But I don't dare to do
> this with FreeBSD 5 because of drive geometric warnings.

Remember there are two boot blocks, so to speak.
There is the MBR that lets you choose which slice to boot.  There is
only one of those per disk and it lives in "sector 0" of the disk.
The MBR generally has a standard calling sequence (that the Bios calls)
and sets things up to a fairly standard condition and looks for
standard appearing boot sectors in slices and makes a standard
call to the selected slice's boot sector.   Almost any MBR that
knows how to recognize a standard boot sector in a slice and lets
you choose between them if there are more than one can be used
interchangeably.

Then there is the boot block with the actual boot loader that starts
pulling the OS from the bootable partition.   On a multi boot disk
there are several - one per each bootable slice and they live in the
boot sector of each slice.    Those are specific to the OS they are
booting.  Though their calling sequence is standard, what they have
to do to load and start their own OS is not.

I am guessing that you managed to overwrite or damage the MS slice'
boot sector while you were doing things, or didn't get it written
to the slice properly when you reloaded or something like that.
Even though you put the MBR back with FreeBSD's fdisk, did you
also make sure that the MS slice had its own boot loader?   Anyway
you did when you put the MS boot loader back.   So it works now.

////jerry