IPMI doesn't work...

Jeff Behl behl at santaba.com
Mon Mar 14 11:23:44 PST 2005

on a 5.3 amd64 system.  anyone have any luck or know anything about
this?  i can query variables right up until the point where the kernel
loads, then nothing.  ibm is saying this can be caused by the actual net
driver (the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) shares the network
interface); we're using a Broadcom BCM5704C Dual gig adapter:

bge0: <Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x2003> mem
0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff,0xfe010000-0xfe01ffff irq 24 at device 1.0 on pci2

anyone have any idea why this may be the case?  unfortunately for me and
others, the inability to remotely manage boxes (console/power
cycle/detect drive failures/etc) via will be a deal breaker in our push
for FBSD in our fleet (couple hundred) of dual proc amd64 IBM e325
servers.  SuSe here we come (unwillingly)...

thx