Why not?

beni beni.brinckman at scarlet.be
Sun Mar 13 02:30:28 PST 2005

bsdzz wrote:

>> "On the other hand, no, Linux does not have that stupid notion of
>> having totally separate kernel development for different issues. If
>> you want a secure BSD, you get OpenBSD; if you want a usable BSD, you
>> get FreeBSD; and if you want BSD on other architectures, you get
>> NetBSD. That___s just idiotic, to have different teams worry about
>> different things."
>>

> I guess Linus didn't have anything to say about the 200 different
> versions of Linux, with their 200 different installers, and 200
> different file hierachies, and their multiple package management systems.
>
>> Why not all three teams work together for just one BSD version?
>>
> If I remember correctly, there are multiple versions of BSD because
> the teams could not work together.

Indeed. I'm not judging nor do I know what its all about, but things
like this won't bring the BSD's together...

<quote>
 From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org>
 To: misc at openbsd.org
 Subject: [BSD-Misc] FreeBSD hiding security stuff

 A few FreeBSD developers apparently have found some security issue
 of some sort affecting i386 operating systems in some cases.

 They have refused to give us real details.

 A promise is now being made.

 If a bug is found in OpenSSH, which we believe to have security
 consequences, we wil inform FreeBSD last.

 Fair is fair.

 I really wish it was not this way, but after a week of trying to get the
 policy to be fixed, we are changing our policy as well.

 Without immediate action from them to repair their policy, and a public
 apology for this, that policy will stand.
 </quote>

Beni.