SAMBA newbie

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 10 10:42:06 PST 2005

David Larkin wrote:

>I have a FreeBSD 5.3 machine and a Windoze XP box.
>
>I am the only user of both.
>
>I don't want to share files or act as a full time fileserver.
>
>I simply wish to exchange files ocassionally, e.g. copy
>FreeBSD backup files to the XP box to burn on CD.
>
>I used to use anon ftp for this type of thing but found the
>security a nightmare. I've now installed Samba on the FreeBSD box,
>but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Nothing wrong with it that you've described so far.  For example,
I've not yet read whether you trust the wire or not....

>Can I set up a 'sandbox' directory on my FreeBSD machine where
>both machines can read and write ?
>
>After installing samba and setting the workgroup in smb.conf,
>i can now see the FREEBSD box in 'view workgroup computers' but
>clicking on that I am asked for a username/password , which i'm reluctant to give.
>
>Any advice ?

How about using the "SharedDocs" folder on the XP box?

 From FBSD, as root:

# mount_smbfs -N //XPbox/SharedDocs /mnt

I have cron do this at every reboot.  If I need to put
anything on my XP Box, it's as simple as using tar,
cp, whatever.

Won't help in the "vice versa" case, of course...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey