JAVA Server

Corey Brune mcbrune at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:43:28 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0500, MikeM <zlists at mgm51.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/2005 at 10:06 AM Grant Peel wrote:
>
> |Hello all,
> |
> |I have a number of simple FreeBSD Hosting boxes running FBSD 4.x and have
> |had a request to add a Java Server to one of them.
> |
> |I am not experienced with JAVA at all.
> |
> |My Boxes run simple Apache 1.3.36, EXim, ProFTP vmpop3d, and are tuned and
>
> |running well.
> |
> |I am looking for advise on what JAVA server to consider installing. SImple
>
> |to install would be good, Low overhead would be better, and seamless
> |operation with Apache would be perfect.

Do you know what your client is wanting from java? If they are writing
a simple web application (known as a WAR), then tomcat/apache with
mod_jk or mod_jk2 will work. If they require EJBs (Enterprise Java
Beans), the you will need more than a servlet engine. Jboss,
http://jboss.com/downloads/index#as, will run EJBs and servlets, and
it uses tomcat for its servlet engine. You will use mod_jk or mod_jk2
with jboss as well.