Disk Error

Eric McCoy emccoy at haystacks.org
Mon Mar 7 02:29:43 PST 2005

Doug Hardie wrote:
> I doubt that its dying.  There is only one bad sector.  The drive is in
> constant use.  Its ran at 100% for almost 12 hours while copying the
> files and no errors were detected.  Its always the same sector with the
> error.

Just as a note, hard drives now come with a number of "spare sectors"
which they map automatically to replace dead sectors.  This is done
because all drives ship with a few bad sectors.  Usually when errors
like this show up, it is because the drive is out of spares.  Since
problems like these tend to accelerate, it is a good idea at least to
consider replacing the disk before you start losing data more than a
sector at a time.

You might consider getting smartmontools and seeing what the drive's
diagnostics have to say.  Usually that will tell you if this is a fluke
or a symptom of a failing drive.