CGI script executing and Apache help (2nd try & important)

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Mar 6 16:29:47 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn B" <shawnblan at yahoo.com>
To: <FreeBSD-questions at FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:19 PM
Subject: CGI script executing and Apache help (2nd try & important)

>I am running FreeBSD-4.8 with Apache 1.3 installed. I
> changed the htdocs directory in httpd.conf to
> /home/user1/public_html/ and I added a /cgi-bin/ in
> the same user directory. Scripts will not execute from
> the cgi-bin, as the scripts contents are displayed in
> the browser window. I went through httpd.conf using
> the search feature in Easy Editor, editing sections
> that have .cgi in it. Now, I am stumped as to how to
> get the CGI scripts to execute.

In order to get CGI scripts to run in a directory other than the default
cgi-bin directory, you have to define the directory and include the option
+ExecCGI

So, in your case, it would be something like this:
<Directory "/home/user1/public_html">
    Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

But, as others have said, you really should read the Apache docs and
familiarize yourself with the syntax.  Also consider using mod_security to
protect your server from attack.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas