CGI script executing and Apache help (2nd try & important)

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Sun Mar 6 14:24:34 PST 2005

On Sunday, March 6, 2005, at 05:19  PM, Shawn B wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD-4.8 with Apache 1.3 installed. I
> changed the htdocs directory in httpd.conf to
> /home/user1/public_html/ and I added a /cgi-bin/ in
> the same user directory. Scripts will not execute from
> the cgi-bin, as the scripts contents are displayed in
> the browser window. I went through httpd.conf using
> the search feature in Easy Editor, editing sections
> that have .cgi in it. Now, I am stumped as to how to
> get the CGI scripts to execute.

Try searching again. This time for 'cgi-bin'. You will notice there is
a section similar to the htdocs bit that defines cgi-bin.

If you are going to run a web server it might be prudent to go through
the apache configuration and documentation site to try and understand
what the configuration file has set up for you. You can find the web
server documentation at: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/