ATA Tagged Queuing? (2nd attempt to get an answer)

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Sun Mar 6 09:50:26 PST 2005

On 03/05/05 05:43:52, Kjell B. wrote:
> I sent the below question a month ago, but received no answer.
> Therefore, I resend it in the hope of getting one now.
>
> ----------
>
> I'm considering turning on Tagged Command Queuing in my ATA system.
> My
> disks are all Hitachi 7K250 (two HDS722512VLAT80 and one
> HDS722516VLAT80) which according to Hitachi support this feature
> (queue
> depth = 32).
>
> However, I read in
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-July/007378.html
> that there may be problems doing this and not really improving
> performance.
>
> Is that recommendation still valid or should I go for it?
>
> My uname:
>  [homebell] ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD homebell.dyndns.org 4.10-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p2
> #0:
> Mon Oct 18 21:48:34 CEST 2004
> homebell at homebell.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOMEBELLapmipfw
> i386
>
>--
> Kjell

Iread some where FreeBSD only supported ibm drives for that, but then
all support was throuwn out because nobody used it.  If you want
performance try a NCQ SATA II drive.  If you only have ATA TCQ then get
a raptor for max performance.  If it is a desktop then leave it off,
TCQ is a server feature and slows down normal desktop workloads.
www.storagereview.com