External modem issues with 5.3 - serial interface there, butaccessing it locks tip/cu up.

Lists sfulton-lists at esoteric.ca
Wed Mar 2 11:19:37 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to get an external modem working under 5.3, without success.
FBSD is detecting the serial port, and the device is in /dev (as cuaa0).
  When I try to access the modem using cu or tip, as per the Handbook,
both lock up.  I have not made any changes to /etc/ttys because I do not
intend to have dial-in access (am I correct there?, and /etc/remote
looks fine.  Any suggestions?

-- Stephen.