Dual boot with XP

Stevan Tiefert stevan at rot-1.de
Wed Mar 2 07:02:11 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, David Larkin wrote:

> I'm going to by a laptop with wondoze XP pre installed soon.
>
> The machine will have one IDE disk.
>
> Am I right in thinking that I can install FreeBSD also without having to re-install XP ?
>
> I"ve searched the mailing list and found info on how to achieve dual boot with multiple disks< but how do i go about this, which I guess is a common task ?
>
> Is there a tutorial out there in cyberspace somewhere ????
>
> Thanks
> David

Hello David,

it is possible to do this, but you need if the Windows XP NTFS-Partition
is using the whole disk a partition-resizer. The free resizer of FreeBSD
is not able to resize NTFS-Partions, but FAT16, VFAT and
FAT32-partitions... You need a commercial resizer or you kill Windows
XP and install it first, then create a partition for Windows XP but much more
smaller, because of later when you want to install FreeBSD with
boot-manager!

With regards
Stevan Tiefert