Dual boot with XP

Parv parv at pair.com
Wed Mar 2 06:46:23 GMT 2005

in message <4224F8F2.7000004 at scls.lib.wi.us>, wrote Greg Barniskis
thusly...

> David Larkin wrote:
> >I'm going to by a laptop with wondoze XP pre installed soon.
> >
> >The machine will have one IDE disk.
> >
> >Am I right in thinking that I can install FreeBSD also without
> >having to re-install XP ?
>
> Consider reinstalling Windows instead of futzing with shrinking
> the partition to make room for FreeBSD.
> The vendor is highly likely to load your laptop's installation of
> Windows with all kinds of unwanted cruft, including AOL and
> Earthlink dialers, scary automated "helper" software, and gawd
> knows what else.

IBM does/did that.  So, before i installed FreeBSD 5.3 on ThinkPad
T42, i read/followed/did Chatchawan Wongsiriprasert's (thanks much
CWS) write up ..

  http://freebie.miraclenet.co.th/notebook/t42/
  http://freebie.miraclenet.co.th/notebook/t42/setup.html

As a result, i got "Windows XP SP2 restore" CD which was originally
missing from the package of the laptop as IBM does not include it
and asks for ~$40 for it otherwise.  Unlike Dell.  Darn it, even
Lotus software was missing!

  - Parv