Can "/etc/rc.conf" be replaced with a symlink?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Tue Mar 1 02:03:58 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 February 2005 04:55 am, "Clay"
<crs.freebsd_mailinglist at users.nuaptools.com> wrote:
> I realized what the problem mostly likely was after submitting the
> question. I do believe that the mount point where I am wanting to
> have rc.conf located is not yet available when the file is read.  Is
> there a way to have this FS mounted prior to rc.conf being read?
> Could I maybe place this mount point above the root in fstab?  I will
> give it try when I have time later today.

Perhaps there is a better solution that will eliminate the need to deal
with this issue. You might consider writing a script that will backup
the files you want, which you write once and use forever, or you can
dump the root filesystem (for one) to a backup disk and/or a compressed
file. This can be done on a regular basis with a cron job. I'm not sure
what your specific needs are, but there are easier ways to do backups.

- jt