Installing Apache 2 with custom options

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 30 14:32:35 GMT 2005

Nicholas Henry wrote:

>Thank you for your reply. I guess I was under the assumption that the
>Apache port would come "pre-configured" with some options. So I didn't
>want to do a "configure" and overwrite what is there. So can you
>confirm that it isn't pre-configured anyway? Are any of the ports have
>configurations set?

I'm still not clear what you mean by "pre-configured".  Do you mean
"comes with a standard configuration file for when it runs" then, yes it
does, though you will have to edit it to suit your needs.  Since you
have the port installed, you must have done this.

If you mean "does it pick some standard options at compile time", then
yes, it probably does, but obviously it did not include the proxy module
you wanted, so you will have to do something when you make apache2 to
get it added.  If I remember correctly, if you just type "make
show-options" and it will tell you what to do.

Many ports do have pre-defined, standard, compile-time options which
they use.  Other ports will stop and ask you which of the many options
you want to choose.  In both cases, *something* is picked as the
default, but it may not be what you want.  Since your original question
was about installing the proxy module, my suggestion was not just to add
that, but also to look at the other modules *now* and add any you
reasonably think you *might* need just to save installing all over again.

Apache is about the most complicated port, with respect to the
compile-time options, that you may ever install.  There are so many
bells, whistles, alternatives and other hoopla, that it makes sense to
see what there is and try and take some informed guesstimates at which
of those you want.  Get it right once and you can forget about it.

See my previous message for how to make sure that portupgrade will use
the same options, if you ever need to remake the port.

Hope that helps,

--Alex