NVIDIA TNT2 woes

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:13:37 GMT 2005

On Jun 30, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> markzero wrote:
>

>> Oh the joys of binary drivers.
>>
>> I awake from a peaceful slumber after a portupgrade to find that
>> I suddenly no longer have X. The playful and exciting words
>> dance across my colourless and tormented screen:
>>
>> (WW) The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in
>> (WW)      this system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy
>> (WW)      drivers. Please visit
>> (WW)      http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
>> (WW)      information.  The 1.0-7667 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
>> (WW)      GPU.  Continuing probe... (EE) No devices detected.
>>
>> The NVIDIA Legacy drivers magically fail to exist on the NVIDIA
>> site and there appears no be no port for them either.
>>

> Can you use the x.org "nv" driver instead?  I've never really
> figured out what the binary driver buys you over the standard one,
> but then all I do is run X with fvwm2, mainly for software
> development, so I have never needed any "fancy" features.  (I've
> never had a TNT2, but I believe it's supported).
>
> Man nv says under supported cards:
>
>          RIVA TNT2             NV5

I am having the same problem with a RIVA TNT card. Changing the
driver from nvidia to nv in /etc/X11/xorg.conf allows me to enter
X11. This is all unfortunate, however. These binary drivers provide
GLX extensions to X11 for NVIDIA cards (so I could type glxgears at
the prompt and have it actually do something). I hope this site
exists soon and someone makes a port for it; I enjoyed knowing that
if I needed to play an OpenGL game that wasn't too hardcore, I could
do it with this computer (I could actually play Quake 3 pretty well
with those drivers).