Freebsd 5.4 cannot fetch xfree86?

perikillo perikillo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:23:43 GMT 2005

On 6/27/05, Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> wrote:
> perikillo wrote:
>
> >  Hi to all.
> >    I install freebsd 5.4 Release, with xorg i have problems with my
> >kbd, and i decide to install the old friend XFree86-4, i read the
> >handbook about, the example say:
> >test# pkg_add -r XFree86
> >
> >   But my system dosent found nothing, the answer is something about
> >"Cannot fetch xfree86 packages from ftp.freebsd.org.
> >

> You can use the PACKAGESITE variable to get pkg_add to go where you
> want.  This next line can be done a whole  bunch of different ways, but
> it's the most general, but I have crafted this for my own system, which
> is a amd64, so it points there.  If you don't see this, and change this
> to point to your own system's architecture, yu're on your own if you
> mess things up:
>
> env
> PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-current/All/
> /usr/sbin/pkg_add -f -r ${PKG_TARGET}
>

> >   There is something else i need to do? or where i can change the
> >default URL? OR wich URL have those pakages ? Any help i will
> >apreciate.
> >
> >    Thanks to all.

  I am going to test that on my other HD, thanks Chuck. Dejan, you ask
me what problems do i have with xorg and the keyboard, for that i
prefer to start one new post, because the subject is not correct for
my other problem.

  Now for this post, thanks for all the info, i was thinking that we
could install xorg or xfree86 from packages on 5.4-Release.

  Iam going to test first Chuck tip, next build xfree86 from ports,
but first let see i can make my kbd works with xorg. Thanks to all.

  Every day we learn something new.