upgrading all ports

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Mon Jun 27 16:37:24 GMT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, RW wrote:

> On Saturday 25 June 2005 12:22, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>> I want to do a portupgrade on all installed ports.
>>
>> What's the right way?
>> 	"portupgrade -arR ?"
>> 	or
>> 	"portupgrade -a" ?
>
> AFAIK there is no difference between the two; "-a" means upgrade all ports in
> the package database, "-Rr" means add in the dependencies and dependent ports
> based on what's in the database, but these are already covered by -a. New
> dependencies are built as a side-effect of building out-of-date ports - not
> through the -R option.
>
> There *is* a difference between -FRa and -Fa because -FR is translated into a
> "make checksum-recursive". Anyone who believes that portupgrade is slower
> than removing all port and reinstalling has probably been misled by watching
> portupgrade -FRa which runs "make checksum-recursive" for each installed port
> and so visits some ports many time.
>
> Portmanager is a good way to bring your ports up-to-date, but it also rebuilds
> all ports that depend on out-of date ports. It's a very slow process if you
> have a slow machine and most of your ports were up-to-date already, but try
> it for yourself.
>
> Portupgrade does a pretty good job if you follow UPDATING, and use the gnome
> script for major Gnome upgrades.
>
> If you want to force the rebuilding of all your ports then see pkg_glob(1) and
> portupgrade (1) for instructions on how to rebuild ports built after a given
> timestamp, as this gives you a restartable method.

This couldn't have come at a better time for me.
I really boned things up about 40 hours ago. I was
getting ready to leave and because I'd been doing
some learning/experimenting with portupgrade on
some held ports, I hit the wrong switch. I think
it was portupgrade -arRF & now, about 40 hours
later, shortly after returning home, we're still
going, going, going....... Things are really in
a mess & I've read the recent posts on this thread
& can attest, sitting here for several hours, that
"visits some ports many times" is an understatement.
It's becoming rediculous & I'm wondering if, at
some point, when clean is going after something
else was just upgraded, if I can break out & go
back with a simple portupgrade -arR & not screw
things up to badly. Any help/feedback on this will
be GREATLY appreciated. :)
Denny White