upgrading all ports

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Mon Jun 27 16:17:34 GMT 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 16:39, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> Is there a way to do all of this with packages, I've used ports system
> exclusively? The reason I ask is... well I don't like waiting 2 to 3
> days for everything to rebuild and I take the defaults for most
> programs anyways. if I could do that and then just rebuild the apps I
> want with custom flags that would be cool...  pkg_version -v says I
> have 176 out of date ports.

You can do it to a limited extent using portupgrade with the -P and -PP
options, or the settings in pkgtools.conf.

The trouble is finding a suitable source of packages, I've upgraded KDE this
way using the fruitsalad servers at freebsd.kde.org, but the ordinary FreeBSD
servers don't keep packages up-to-date for releases. It might work for
5-stable.