freebsd as the basis for something better?

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:47:15 GMT 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Must seriously disagree. Voice command is of very limited use - it's not
private, and difficult to use in crowded surroundings.

Further, if you consider the space in the human brain for visual
processing vs. aural processing, I think you'll find that visual
processing wins. At least for feedback, the human visual system is much
better.

However, the best interface for human input to machines is, IMHO, still
to be determined. I don't claim that the keyboard/mouse interface is
best, but it is, again IMHO, superior to voice command. What would be
better than keyboard/mouse? I really don't know. One SWAG would be
reading brainwaves, or perhap eyeball gestures - but that's just sheer
speculation.

I'm still a partisan of the command line, however. It's simply too
flexible an interface, with too much history, to ignore. The human
species has spent far too much intellectual capital making text-based
interfaces (try explaining philosophy with pictures only) to the world
to give it up, and the interface is so much more  powerful than any gui,
that I believe it will prove fruitless to try to better it with a GUI.
Electron for electron, a text interface is much more information-dense
than any GUI - for expressing commands. Note the difference. Getting
output in graphic form can be (often is) better than in text, but input
is better through the command line.

Kurt